Adding a favicon to a SharePoint site is not such a difficult operation.
First, what is a favicon ?
Is a file containing one or more small icons, most commonly 16×16 pixels, associated with a particular Web site or Web page.
Note: this operation requires administrative wrights.
How to add a favicon ?
- upload your favicon into the Site Assets library and copy the link;
- go to Site Actions – Site Settings – Master Pages;
- download a copy of v4.master;
- open it with Notepad or Notepad++;
- do a search for favicon;
- replace the Icon URL with the URL copied after you’ve uploaded the favicon into Site Assets;
- save v4.master and upload it in the Master Pages site.
- go on the main page and see the new changes.